The average American eats 33lbs of cheese each year. Cheese weighs in at ~100 calories per ounce (about one square inch cube, like dice) and 6 – 9g of fat. Accordingly, it’s high in fat & cholesterol. In fact, it’s America’s largest source of dietary fat. By all means, that’s because it’s delicious and we love it- and you can read more stats here. In case you’re trying to lose weight, watch your cholesterol or fat intake, or just eat healthier, chances are you can be eating less of it. Hence, we present to you The Best Cheese (No-Cheese) Sauce recipe as a substitute. It isn’t intended to replace cheese in your diet or recommend a vegan transformation to you. Instead, the Best Cheese (No-Cheese) Sauce recipe is a possible tool for you. It’s another small change you for healthy lifestyle success- which is the Premack Life way.
This recipe is creamy and can easily pass as a real cheese sauce. We love it because it’s:
· Quick and easy to make.
· Versatile enough to use for different dishes.
· Simple to adjust for different flavors (spicy, sharp, etc.).
· Lower in fat and calories.
· Price happy.
So simple and so many possibilities for cheese lovers! Here it is, the Best Cheese (No-Cheese) Sauce.
Cheese (No-Cheese) Sauce Ingredients
2 cups diced potatoes (we like to use red because the waxier texture makes for a creamier sauce- but any kind will work)
1 cup diced carrots
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/3 cup EVOO (less if you add more water)
1 tsp mustard powder
1 – 2 tsp salt (based on preference)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
Instructions for Cheese (No-Cheese) Sauce
1. Dice, measure, and boil carrots and potatoes until extremely soft. You can dice and boil extra and then freeze them for later use. This will make future cheese sauce prep even quicker and easier. Just portion them out in advance and use within one month.
2. Add carrots and potatoes to food processor.
3. Add all other ingredients.
4. Process until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes. Taste along the way and add in other spices and flavors until it’s perfect for the dish you are making. You can add more water or oil to make it thinner and keep it handy in a squeeze bottle for quick use.
5. All done! Add to your favorite meal and let us know how it turned out. Check out the optional add ins below.
Optional Best Cheese (No-Cheese) Additions
Based on your preference and search for creativity, we have listed some other things you can use to change up the flavor of your Cheese No-Cheese sauce. Try them out and let us know if you have any other ideas you want to share.
· Additional mustard powder to create a sharper flavor (balance with apple cider vinegar).
· Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce for a smoky, spicy twist.
· Fresh jalapenos for a southwestern kick.
· Crushed red pepper boiled in the water with the potatoes and carrots for a spicy Italian take.
· Roasted garlic (4 cloves or so, splashed in broth or an oil-based dressing).
· Almond milk for a milder flavor.
· Tapioca starch to add stretchiness and texture.
How’d it turn out? Take a picture of how you used it or comment on other creative alterations you made to this easy, low fat Cheese No-Cheese Sauce.
Nutrition Information (per serving, recipe makes 20)
· Calories: 65
· Fat (g): 3.5
· Cholesterol (mg): O
· Carbs (g): 8
· Protein (g): 1